Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Repentance

I have updated my book Preaching the Gospel to add a new chapter on repentance. Here is a link to my website where you can read the book online or download it in pdf format:
http://www.ptgbook.org/

Here is a direct link to the chapter on repentance:
http://www.ptgbook.org/repentance.htm

The evidence I think is strong that we are in the Laodicean era. Christ commands us to repent in Revelation 3:15-22: "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'-and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked- I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."

The scattered condition of the Church, and our weakness in preaching the gospel to the world, are both evidence that we are Laodicean.

I think there is a strong connection between repentance and faith. They are two sides of the same coin. We need to be zealous to study the Bible, let it correct us, and believe what God says. We build faith as we study, believe, and obey the Bible one verse at a time.

When we read something in the Bible that is hard to take, something that corrects us in our behavior or beliefs, we need to choose to believe God and put our belief into obedient action. As we do that, we exercise our faith and it increases, and our repentance increases as well.

We need to spent less time on TV, movies, and entertainment and more time in prayer and Bible study. When we study the Bible, we should study it in an attitude of belief and looking for God to correct us.

"Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning" (Proverbs 9:8-9).

No comments: